Warming Leftover Chicken Soup
- 2 cups leftover chicken
- Leftover chicken stock
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 large white potato
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Original
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Remove any skin & excess fat from the chicken carcass and toss in the garbage. Next, remove any large pieces of meat from the chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces, then refrigerate.
Place the chicken bones in a pot and add just enough water to cover them. (Approx 4 litres of water.) Simmer the bones for about 10 minutes so the remaining meat will fall of the bones.
Remove the bones from the pot and set them aside to cool. Keep the water that was in the pot as this makes great chicken stock. Also, add any leftover chicken stock from when you first cooked the chicken.
PREPARE THE VEGETABLES:
Chop onion into small pieces. Peel carrots & slice thinly.
Rinse celery & slice thinly (add the leafy part too). Scrub potato (leave skin on) and cut into bite sized pieces.
Place all vegetables into the stock pot along with the salt, pepper, turmeric & Mrs. Dash. Simmer on the stove until the vegetables are almost cooked.
In the meantime, remove the remaining meat from the bones that have been cooling down. Discard the bones and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
Add the chicken and frozen peas to the vegetables and simmer 5 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
Instead of potatoes, you can add any type of small pasta to the soup.
This soup freezes well. If you decide to make a batch to freeze, it is better to freeze without adding the peas. Just add them when you decide to heat the soup up.
You'll also love
- South of the Border Chicken Soup 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Elisabeth's Southwest Chicken Soup 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Best Ever Turkey Burger w/ Turkey... 2.9/5 (12 Votes)
- Pork Loin Rib End Roast 3.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ KFC Star Chicken Wraps 2.8/5 (20 Votes)
- Lamb and potato stew 3.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Ziti 2.8/5 (17 Votes)
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.