Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheese
- 2 cups grated yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- Homemade Croutons
- 4 slices of bread (cubed small pieces)
- 4 tablespoons of butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian season
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Saute the celery & garlic in the butter over medium heat. Once finished toss in the crock pot.
Add the potatoes, broccoli, carrots, chicken broth, half and half, milk, bay leaves, paprika, salt and pepper to the crock pot & slightly stir. (Everything but the cheese.)
Let it set in the crock pot on low for about 4 to 5 hours (Stirring occasionally)
Add 2 tablespoons butter to 2 tablespoons flour in a pan and whisk it over low heat to to make a roux to thicken up the soup. Whisk for about 4 minutes until you get a golden color roux (Blond Roux). Then add it to the soup and mix together.
Add the grated cheese; stir until well blended and let it set for another 30 minutes still cooking it on low heat.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with grated cheese and croutons.
-Preheat oven 350
-Cut bread into cubes and put in a medium bowl.
-Melt butter and then combine with the bread, garlic and Italian seasons.
-Put on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown.
Making a blond roux for soups use EQUAL parts of butter to flour.
You'll also love
- Salad with Eggs and Creamy Garlic... 2.8/5 (29 Votes)
- CHICKEN PENNE 2.8/5 (19 Votes)
- Jalapeno Tortilla Chicken Wraps 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Warming Leftover Chicken Soup 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Country Style Mashed Potatoes 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Hot sandwiches 3.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Potato and Leek Soup 2.7/5 (106 Votes)
- Pasta meal 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.