Besan Puda (Gram Flour Dosa)
Besan Puda is a tasty dish for breakfast or a light lunch. This recipe is quick to prepare and can be served many different ways.
- 1 cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon chopped Green Chilies
- 1 cup shredded Zucchini (Italian Squash)
- 1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro
- 6 tablespoons of Oil
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Shred the zucchini with the skin and keep aside.
Mix all the dry ingredients together : besan, rice flour, cumin seeds, and salt. Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pancake batter or Dosa batter. Add the green chilies, cilantro, and zucchini. Mix well.
Use a non-stick skillet and place on medium-high heat. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. Water should sizzle right away.
Pour about 1/2 cup of the batter into the skillet and spread evenly with a back of spoon. Starting from the center, spiral the batter outward evenly to form a circle about 7 in diameter.
When batter starts to dry, gently spread one teaspoon of oil over it. Wait about 30 seconds; flip the puda using a flat spatula.
Press the puda lightly all around with the spatula to make the puda cook evenly. Turn the puda three to four time, until crisp and brown on both sides.
Repeat for the remaining pudas.
Spread the batter quickly, or it will begin to dry and will be difficult to spread.
Serving Suggestions :
You can serve the puda with yogurt, chutney, spicy pickles, or ketchup.
Pudas can also be served as quesadillas. Fold the pudda with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, or roasted vegetables.
Zucchini can be replaced with finely chopped spinach, shredded potatoes, or finely shredded cabbage.
If you make the puda without vegetables, do not use rice flour. This will cause the pudas to be very dry.
Cilantro can be replaced with ground coriander powder.
You'll also love
- Crab Rangoon 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Pizza 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Hot spinach dip 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Savories - Tikka Samosas 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Smores Bark 4.2/5 (78 Votes)
- Rigatoni with Chicken and... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Rava Kichidi Chennai Style 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Dosa 3.9/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Review this recipe