Southwestern Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
A relatively simple salad that came about when a friend gave me a box of red quinoa. After cooking it, I started adding ingredients that I had on hand, starting with the beans (I almost always try to mix grains and beansns for the nutritional advantages). I considered adding a cream or cheese sauce but this would have required a trip to store and it was 12 below and windy outside (Elgin, IL). So I mixed up a quick vinegar and oil dressing and this is the result.
- 1 cup well rinsed red quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste or powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup walnut or other nut oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 6 thin sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup fine chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fine chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fine chopped Anaheim chili pepper
- 1/4 cup fine chopped fresh herbs
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Combine quinoa and water or broth in small saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and a dash of oil. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Don’t stir while it is
cooking. Simmer til all liquid is absorbed (similar to cooking rice). Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and put in large a bowl, bring to room temperature.
For dressing, whisk together cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, chipolte, oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Rinse and drain beans til quite dry, combine with cut up vegetables and herbs (basil, parsley, etc to make 1/4 cup) in a salad bowl. Add dressing and mix well. stir in quinoa and mix til well combined.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!