Polka Dot Cake
A childhood favorite made by my mother, Elna Law Otteson
- 1 ¼ cup chopped dates
- 1 cup hot water
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 oz. choc. chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Chop dates and place in hot water. Let cool. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs. Add dry ingredients alternately with date mixture. Stir in vanilla and ½ cup chocolate chips. Spread batter in greased cake pan. Top with the rest of the chocolate chips and the nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!