Simple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 12 ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- or hazelnuts (filberts) (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 25mins
Cost Average budget
In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and baking soda. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 60 cookies.
Bake and cool cookies completely. In an airtight or freezer container, arrange cookies in a single layer; cover with a sheet of waxed paper. Repeat layers, leaving enough air space to close container easily. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month.
You'll also love
- The Original Chocolate Chip Cookies 3.9/5 (95 Votes)
- Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- White Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- 5 min fudge 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet cottage Cheese 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Corn Chips 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Wacky Chocolate Cake 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- coconut logs 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!