What is Celiac Disease?
Article by Mandy King, the Official Gluten Free Guru of Gourmandize.com
Celiac Disease Overview
Celiac disease is an auto-immune disease that causes damage to the villi on the small intestine when any form of gluten is consumed.
Celiac disease is hereditary, and it is estimated that 1 in 133 people have it, with as many as 83% of people going undiagnosed. According to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, up to 22% of those with celiac disease have a first degree relative who also has celiac. For those with celiac disease, FULL avoidance of gluten is mandatory, and people must be careful about food that while gluten free in nature, has come in contact with gluten, and therefore has been cross contaminated.
Symptoms of Celiac Disease
There are numerous symptoms associated with celiac disease, some common, while others not. It is important to remember that celiac disease can be present, without any symptoms whatsoever.
- Diarrhea, upset stomach
- Bloating / gas / indigestion / abdominal pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Foul smelling stool
- Depression / anxiety / inability to cope
- Tingling / numbness in hands or feet
- Canker sores
- Arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases including asthma, type 1 diabetes, thyroid problems
- Iron deficiency
- Skin rash (called dermatitis herpetiformis)
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.
Comment on this article