Red Beans (Habichuelas)
Traditional Puerto Rican red beans served with white rice
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 oz. of diced lean cured ham (jamón de cocinar) or 1 strip bacon
- 2 oz. salchichon diced
- 1 can of red or pink beans
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cube or 1 teaspoon chicken boullion
- 1 1/2 cans of tomato sauce (8oz.)
- 1 packet of sazón
- 2 tablespoons of sofrito
- 1/2 can of water (use the tomato sauce can)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Put the oil in a deep saucepan, turn the heat to medium and add the jamón and salchichon. Add onions.
Saute together with the sofrito and chicken boullion, after 3 minutes add the tomato sauce, sazon. Stir for 2 minutes
Add the beans and water, stir.
Turn heat to medium high. When boiling, cover with a lid and turn heat to low. Add water if needed.
Cook 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Puerto Rican Domplines 4.1/5 (245 Votes)
- Puerto Rican Domplines 4.2/5 (169 Votes)
- Potatoes Eggs and Cheese 4.2/5 (116 Votes)
- Mexican Tortilla Lasagna 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Winning 3-Alarm Bean Chili 4.1/5 (24 Votes)
- Red Beans and Rice 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Red Beans and Rice 2.9/5 (17 Votes)