Fried rice with spring vegetables
- 8 oz basmati or thai rice
- 4 carrots
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3/4 of a broccoli
- + / 5 tbsp. tablespoons soy sauce
- sesame oil
- sunflower oil (or other neutral oil)
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
- Cook rice in boiling salted water then drain and rinse with cold water. Cool.
- Cut the broccoli florets and carrots into thin sticks
- Peel the asparagus, keeping only the tips (you can cut the rest of the sliced asparagus if you wish)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté vegetables 8-10 min. Add a little water and cook the vegetables over low heat with a lid (approx .10 min). Check doneness of vegetables then add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Reserve and keep hot
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute the rice (approx 10/15 min) the rice should become a bit dry and slightly crispy
- Serve rice with vegetables (possibly add a little more soy sauce)
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!