russian "golubtsy" low fat version
here is my low fat version of "golubtsy" stuufed cabbage rolls with a twist to my grandma's recipe, enjoy!
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- or ground chicken
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp low fat sour cream
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Budget Friendly
Boil the head of cabbage in water for about 10 minutes, take it out and let the cabbage cool, if the some of the cabbage leaves are still hard, drop it back into the hot water where you boiled it and let it sit there.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet, saute the rice, onion and carrot until onions are translucent. Add this to the ground beef, with the salt, pepper, garlic, ketchup and mix well. (Reserve 2 tbsp of the meat mixture.)
Take the cabbage leaves and cut the stem off on the ends, add 1-1/2 to 2 tbsp of the meat mixture fold the end of the leaf where you cut the stem off, then fold the sides and roll all the way.
Once all the cabbage leaves are ready heat 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and on medium heat lighting fry the golubsty ( I do about 3-4 per batch) for about a minute or two on both sides.
In a large pot heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute the reserved tbsp of meat mixture or if you have lot of meat mixture left then use it all. In a bowl mix tomato sauce and sour cream. Add all the golubsty in the pot pour in the tomato sour cream sauce and chicken stock. Turn the heat down and simmer for 35 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture