Carolyn's Hungarian Cabbage Rolls
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 large diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- Seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 6 strips hickory bacon
- 9 cloves garlic
- 2 smoked hamhocks
- 2 cabbages
- 1 large can V-8 juice
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 sm cans of tomato sauce
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Partially cook the rice. It should be cooked but a bit chewy. Saute the onion in butter until transparent and golden. Turn off and add the paprika. Let it cool before adding to the meat. Season the meat with seasoning salt and pepper. When rice is cool add it to the meat.
Prepare the cabbage leaves. Cut the core out of the cabbage, drop it in a pot of boiling water. Peel off leaves and partially cook until flexible. Shave off the thick part of the vein for easy rolling.
Put a handful of meat in the cabbage leave. Roll it and then stuff in each end with your thumb pushing the ends of the cabbage inwards. Roll them tight.
Chop up the left over cabbage leaves that were too small to roll and line the bottom of the roasting pan. Throw any left over rice on the bottom. Place the two hamhocks in the pan. Line the six slices of bacon on the bottom of the pan with the 9 crushed cloves of garlic. Sprinkle with paprika. Place the cabbage rolls around the pan tightly.
Mix the ingredients of the sauce. Pour over the rolls. Bake at 350 F for three hours.
These freeze well and taste better the next day. The flavor to these cabbage rolls depends on getting really good smoked hamhocks and using lots of garlic.
You'll also love
- Corned Beef Hash 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Easy Cheezy Chicken Bake 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Grandma Ferguson’s Baked Beans 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Boiled Dinner 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Diver Selected Scallops 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Hungarian Chicken and Dumplings 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Tortiere 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Peanutty Coleslaw 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture
Review this recipe