Hungarian Zucchini Squash with Dill (Tokfozelek)
Here's a delicious Hungarian recipe for creamed zucchini with a hint of dill. It's light and refreshing, which makes it a wonderful side dish to meat.
- 6 zucchini squash
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 sprigs of fresh dill
- 1 very small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 3/4 tbsp sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Wash and peel the zucchini. Use a large holed grater to shred the zucchini (or slice very very thinly).
Put zucchini shreds in a small bowl, add salt, vinegar and dill. Stir, then cover and chill overnight.
Place zucchini in a pot, then barely cover the squash with water. Add the onion slices, stir it, and cook. When the zucchini changes to a creamier color, it is done. Pour out the cooking liquid into a large container. Don't throw it away yet, you might need it.
In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and flour.
Add the sour cream to the drained zucchini while stirring to avoid clumps. If too thick, thin it out by adding 1 tbsp of sour cream, then one tbsp of the cooking liquid that you set aside. Repeat until the desired consistancy is acheived.
Next, add the sugar and remove the larger chunks of dill and serve.
You'll also love
- Eggplant with sundried tomatoes 3.3/5 (274 Votes)
- Stuffed Mushrooms 3.5/5 (224 Votes)
- Baked Squash 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Ashley's Nova Scotia & Lox 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Squash And Kale Salad 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Goulash(Casserole) 4/5 (42 Votes)
- Hungarian Goulash 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Hungarian Noodles/Dumplings 4.2/5 (7 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!