Lovely little popovers that are great served as a side, or in place of bread.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup butter, lard, bacon fat or beef drippings
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Mix the flour and the salt. Make a well in the middle, slowly drizzle in the milk while whisking. Add the eggs one by one and keep whisking.
Add the water, beat until light and frothy. Let rest for 1 hour on the kitchen counter.
Preheat oven to 400F. In a muffin pan, pour the butter or lard to half fill the muffin cups. Put in the oven until the fat is sizzling, then remove and add the batter on top of the fat, filling the muffin cup. Bake for about 20 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!