Grandma Ferguson’s Baked Beans
These are my "go to" recipe when we have to bring a dish to pass
- 1 lb. bag dry great northern beans
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb. bacon (original recipe calls for ¼ lb salt pork)
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- ¼ c. white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar (sometimes I add up to ¾ c.)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Dash each Tabasco, Worchester sauce, and garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Soak beans covered with water (by at least 3 inches) at least 8 hours or overnight (overnight is best). Drain and rinse and cover beans with clean water. Place on heat and bring to a high simmer and add chopped onion and salt and pepper.
While beans are simmering until soft dice bacon and lightly brown to remove most of the grease. Drain the grease and add the bacon to the cooking beans. Simmer until the beans are mushy soft. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients stirring well to blend. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into pan making sure there is plenty of liquid covering beans. Bake in 350 -375 degree oven 1 to 2 hours till beautiful and golden on the top and desired consistency.
This was Gary Polmanteers Gramma and a favorite of our grandson Jacob (Jake) Silverstein
You'll also love
- Diver Selected Scallops 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Mexican Bean Salad 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Cheesy Pittsburgh Potatoes 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Stir-fried Endives, Potatoes and... 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Coca Cola BBQ chicken 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Crab Cakes - Small Batch 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Chipotle Mushroom Runsas 4/5 (31 Votes)
- Granny's Texas Baked Beans 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!