grandma katrina's russian borscht
perfect on a cold winter's day!
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup juice (from can of beets)
- 1 cup cooked or canned beets, diced
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- chopped dill or parsley (for garnishing)
- sour cream
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
In a large heavy pan, melt butter and lightly sauté cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion for approximately 5 minutes. Add beef stock. Blend canned tomatoes or press through a sieve until fine. Add pureed tomatoes and beet juice to stock. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are firmly tender but not soft.
At this point, add the chopped beets and vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper and remove from heat before the beets begin to lose their color.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of dill or parsley over each bowl and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Hash brown Perogie Smorgasbord 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Scalloped Potatoes 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Cabbage Rolls 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow Roasted Hen & Vegetable Medley 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Щавелевый Борщ... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Mint... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Salmon Chowder 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture