Homemade Cavatelli Pasta with Southern-Style Pesto
- For the pasta:
- 4 cups of semolina flour + more (about a half of a cup)
- 1 c lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 TBS Bourbon Smoked Salt + 2 TBS
- Southern-Style Pesto:
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 2-3 TBS olive oil
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 TBS Bourbon Smoked Salt and Pepper (you may prefer more salt)
- 1/2 or 2/3 c. walnut halves
- 1/3 or 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Click this link to explore all of Bourbon Barrel Food's exciting products: Bourbon Barrel Foods
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 90mins
Cost Average budget
On a flat surface, made a well with the flour. Pour the water into the middle of the well. With your hands, mix together the flour and water until you form a dough ball. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. Wrap the dough in cling wrap, and let it chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Divide the dough in to 5 or 6 pieces, and roll it out into long and thin strands. Roll out the dough is easiest if you keep your fingers separated and work from the center to the end. With a knife, cut the strand into 1/4-1/2 inch thick pieces. Place each piece on a fork or gnocchi board and press away from you. The dough should make a semi-circle shape. Do not press the pasta together; there should be a small opening in the semi circle (the pasta cooks more evenly).
Place the finished cavatelli on a baking sheet covered in more semolina flour. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
Southern Style Pesto: Either in a large food processor or in two batches, process all of the ingredients on high until the sauce is smooth. Place the sauce in a large pan, and heat the sauce to medium-low for 5-7 minutes.
Boil water with 2 TBS of Bourbon Smoked Salt. When the water comes to a boil, place the pasta into the water. Let the pasta cook for about 2 minutes (when the pasta is done, it will float to the top of the pot). Take the pasta out of the water with a slotted spoon, and stir it into the sauce. Garnish with a few basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
You'll also love
- Rigatoni with Chicken and... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Southern Fried Chicken with Corn... 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Potato Refrigerator Rolls 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Golden Fried Oysters 4.1/5 (31 Votes)
- Caprese Salad 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Pesto Pasta 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Bourbon Blood Orange 3.9/5 (36 Votes)
Review this recipe