Easy southern cooking: our favorite recipes - 4 recipes
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!
Top rated Easy southern recipes
Homemade Cavatelli Pasta with Southern-Style Pesto
By Bourbon Barrel Foods, Bourbon Barrel Foods
Pasta: On a flat surface, made a well with the flour
- For the pasta:
- 4 cups of semolina flour + more (about a half of a cup)
- 1 c lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 TBS Bourbon Smoked Salt + 2 TBS
- Southern-Style Pesto:
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 2-3 TBS olive oil
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 TBS Bourbon Smoked Salt and Pepper (you may prefer more salt)
- 1/2 or 2/3 c. walnut halves
- 1/3 or 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Click this link to explore all of Bourbon Barrel Food's exciting products: Bourbon Barrel Foods
Golden Fried Oysters
By sacampbell0181, Examiner.com
A very simple and easy to follow recipe for enjoying cooked oysters, deep fried Southern style!
- 1 package of Zatarain's Fish fry
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of milk
- Dozen fresh or jarred oysters
- 2 cups flour or corn meal
- McCormick's Season All
Savory barbecue sauce in a decadent southern-style meatloaf
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Cup Italian-Style Bread crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Bottle Sweet Baby Rays Hickory Brown Sugar
- 1 Bottle Sweet Baby Rays Sweet N' Spicy
Recipe for bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed shrimp & green chile gritsYUM!Food Porn
By REMCooks, REMCooks
Step-by-step instructions here
- For the Shrimp:
- 1 lb. deveined Shrimp (15 & under count - peel & butterfly)
- 1/2 lb. Asiago cheese
- 1 lb. par-cooked bacon
- For the grits:
- 1.5 cup Regular Grits (NOT instant or quick grits)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5.25 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups roasted & minced Hatch green chile (equals 1.3 lbs raw chiles but you still have to roast them)
- 1 cup Manchego cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp crushed Mexican oregano