Apple Caramel Oatmeal Cookies
A chewy oatmeal cookie with lots of caramel and apples
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour ( I used 1 cup white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup dried apples diced
- 1 1/2 cup caramel bits (or caramels cut up in small pieces)
- melted chocolate to drizzle (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 12mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven 350 degrees
In mixer blend sugar and butter until creamy, scraping sides and bottom.
Add eggs and continue to blend.
Add vanilla and blend. Scrape sides and bottom to make sure everything is blended together and there are no clumps of sugar or butter.
In separate bowl mix flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Add dry ingredients slowly to butter/sugar/egg mixture and mix until everything is combined. Do not over mix as this will could make your cookies dry and crumbly.
Add diced apples and caramel bits.
Drop on cookie sheet covered with baking mat ( I have Artisan Metal Works Silicone Baking Mats)
Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cookies will look slightly moist on top but will continue to cook when you take them out of the oven. Leave on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to baking rack to cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate (optional)
It is easier if you have a baking mat on your cookie sheet as with the caramels they will stick to your cookie sheet. I did bake some on only the cookie sheet, it took longer to get them off without scrunching up the cookie into a ball.
You could also use fresh apples instead of dried... I find that the dried work better.
You'll also love
- Cider-Mill Stuffed Apples 4.4/5 (354 Votes)
- Puerto Rican Domplines 4.2/5 (169 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Tatin Cheesecake 3.9/5 (183 Votes)
- PINEAPPLE CREAM PUFFS 4/5 (176 Votes)
- Rustic Pie with Beets, Apples and... 3.8/5 (189 Votes)
- Insanely delicious cookies from... 3.2/5 (238 Votes)
- Crock Pot Homemade Applesauce 3.4/5 (208 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn 6 steps to chocolaty Oreo PARADISE 4.6/5 (90 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.