Apple Spice Streusel Cake with Salted Caramel Drizzle
This cake has the familiar taste of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves we all crave in the fall and the little extras like streusel top and salted caramel drizzle take it to the next level.
This cake has the familiar taste of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves we all crave in the fall and the little extras like streusel top and salted caramel drizzle take it to...
- For the Cake
- Apples- 4 medium (3 cups shredded)
- Sugar ( I used Demerara/Turbinado sugar)-11/4 cup
- Oil-1/2 cup
- Eggs-4 large
- Flour-3 cups
- Baking soda- 2 tsp.
- Baking powder-1/2 tsp.
- Salt-1 tsp.
- Cinnamon- 1 tsp.
- Mixed Spice- 1/2 tsp.
- Nutmeg- 1/4 tsp.
- For the Streusel Topping
- Flour-5 1/2 tbsp.
- Sugar (Demerara/Turbinado)-5 tbsp.
- Cinnamon- 1/4 tsp.
- Mixed Spice- 1/4 tsp.
- Nutmeg- 1/4 tsp.
- Butter, slightly softened- 3 tbsp.
- Walnuts (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Salted Caramel Drizzle ( I used pre-made Marks and Spencer brand)-2-3 tbs.
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C
2. Grease the bottom only but not the sides of a 9″ round pan. Springform pan works the best as it makes it easier to remove the cake after it’s been baked. Shred the apples with skin on and mix together with sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients (cake ingredients only). Pour the batter into your pan and smooth the top.
3. Mix together the streusel ingredients in a small bowl with a fork or use your hands. The streusel won’t be crumbly but will have the consistency of a cookie batter. Pinch of small bits and cover the surface of the cake.
4. Bake for 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 30 minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake and remove it from the pan. Drizzle with pre-made salted caramel in any way your imagination allows. (If you caramel sauce is a bit stiff put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, that should help to get it runny and only use a good quality brand you trust. )
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.