Maple Kale and Fuji Apple Salad the Super Food Salad
A healthy salad featuring nutrient dense kale and radicchio greens, accented with crispy pancetta, sugared walnuts and Fuji Apples.
Tossed in a light Sherry Maple Vinaigrette. Both a simple and complex salad served as a starter course.
- Pecans, halves 2 cups
- Powdered sugar 1/2 cup
- Cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin, ground 1/4 teaspoon
- Kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Olive oil 1/4 cup
- Pancetta, sliced and small diced 6 oz
- Sherry vinegar 1/2 cup
- Caper brine 1/4 cup
- Maple syrup 6 Tablespoons
- Black pepper, ground 1/2 teaspoon
- Fuji apples, julienned cut 2 each
- Radicchio, shredded 1 head
- Kale, stemmed, finely shredded 8 oz
- Fresh chives, small sliced 3 Tablespoons
- Fresh tarragon, finely chopped 1 Tablespoon
- Dried cherries 3/4 cup
- Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved 2 oz
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
1. In a mixing bowl place the pecans and cover with cold water, soak for about 2 minutes. Drain well thru a fine sieve and shake off and excess water. In a separate bowl combine the powdered sugar, cayenne, cumin and 1 ½ teaspoons of kosher salt.
2. Add the pecans to the spices and generously coat with the spiced sugar blend. Place a parchment paper onto a baking pan; lightly spray with nonstick vegetable cooking oil. Arrange the spiced nuts in a single layer.
3. Place the nuts into a 350 degree oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the sugar is lightly caramelized and the pecans are golden in color. Occasionally shake the pan while cooking.
4. In a large skillet heat the olive oil with the pancetta cooking using moderate heat; add the pancetta sauté until the pancetta is browned about 6 minutes.
5. Strain the pan drippings into a large mixing bowl; whisk in the vinegar, caper brine and maple syrup and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
6. Add the apples, radicchio, kale, chives, tarragon and dried cherries to the dressing and gently toss. Arrange the salad onto serving platters, garnish with pecans, pancetta, and dried cherries and shaved cheese.
You'll also love
- Endive Salad with walnuts and... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Simple Roasted Squash Soup 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Apple Gorganzala Salad (copycat... 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Healthy Chicken Salad 3.3/5 (109 Votes)
- Salad with Eggs and Creamy Garlic... 2.8/5 (29 Votes)
- Potato Salad 2.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Balsamic Mushrooms Salad 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Easy Apple Crisp 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.