Simple Roasted Squash Soup
This soup needs no garnish or side.. It’s simply perfect, all on it’s own. The flavors of the squash are full & the texture is smooth & creamy. It really makes me feel so warm & good on the inside. I love creating recipes that don’t require much. I grew up where salt & pepper were the only seasonings used. It was enough though. I learned so much about food this way. When I make soups especially, I want to not overwhelm the pallet but create simple flavors that come from the food itself. This squash soup is a perfect example. It’s all about the squash. No bacon or herbs, just squash. It’s rich sweet, savory flavor is perfect for any Fall night. It’s simple & delicious!
- 1 large Butternut Squash (halved lengthwise & seeded)
- 1 medium Acorn Squash
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup cream or half & half
- 1 leek (1/4 cup chopped)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice squash in half, scoop out the insides.
Place squash halves on a large baking sheet flesh side up, brush with olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven & set aside to cool.
On medium heat, Add 1 tsp olive oil, 3 tablespoons butter and leeks to a large soup pot.Cook until leeks have begun to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. With a large spoon scoop out the tender squash from its skin. Stir in to the pot the squash, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Add cream or half & half during this process.
(Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in an upright blender.)
Kid friendly! This soup is great for a starter to any Fall dinner or it can hold its own as a main course!
You'll also love
- Quick and Easy Hummus 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Puerto Rican Domplines 4.1/5 (258 Votes)
- Portobello Fajitas 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Cheesy Bacon Broccoli Salad with... 4.3/5 (42 Votes)
- 4-C Overnight Oats 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Yellow Squash Soup 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Effortless Garlic Roasted Potatoes 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!