- leftover ham on the bone
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 24 ounces V8 juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce if desired
- 1 box ditalini pasta
- grated Parmesan or Romano cheese for topping
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cut any remaining ham off bone, or use some of leftover ham if you've got any...cut into small pieces.
Heat olive oil in pot, add ham, onion, celery, and garlic and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
Add ham bone, and all other ingredients except for beans and pasta, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add beans and cook another 30 minutes.
Prepare pasta in separate pot according to directions, drain and set aside. Toss with olive oil to keep from sticking.
Add a scoop of pasta to each bowl before adding soup.
Top with parmesan or romano cheese.
Store leftover soup and pasta separately, or pasta will absorb all of the broth.
You'll also love
- Grilled Chicken Cesar Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (31 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Rosemary & Thyme... 2.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Baby and kid friendly leek soup 3/5 (27 Votes)
- Brown Butter Tortellini with... 3.2/5 (5 Votes)
- minestrone soup 3.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Macaroni and creamed tomatoes 2.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Cream of Cauliflower/Brocolli Soup 2.9/5 (18 Votes)
- Roasted Root Vegetables 3/5 (12 Votes)