Dad's Potato Noodles
Perogie-like noodles filled with potato and onion, and baked with breadcrumbs.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Crisco
- EGG WASH:
- 1 beaten egg mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Mix all ingredients together lightly in bowl.
Knead until smooth.
Let rest while preparing filling.
Boil peeled potatoes until soft,
place in large bowl and mash
(not too smooth, leave slightly lumpy)
Melt Crisco in skillet, add chopped onions and cook until deep brown, but do not burn.
Add onions to potatoes, mix together. Let cool.
When no longer hot, add eggs and mix well, GENEROUSLY salt and pepper filling.
Using half of the dough at a time, roll out to 1/8 inch thickness, in a large rectangle.
Starting at the side of the rectangle closest to you, about an inch from the bottom, place a long row of potato filling across the dough, not quite to the side edges. (about an inch thick) Brush egg wash in a thin stripe on both sides along the length of the row of potatoes, Fold dough over potato and press together, using the handle of a wooden spoon, press segments into the row, separating into individual bumps, pressing to seal edges.
With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut out individual square noodles, making sure edges are sealed well. Repeat with rest of dough and filling.
Place noodles in large pot of boiling water, boil until they have been floating for two minutes, remove from water and drain.
Melt butter in skillet, add breadcrumbs and sauté until deep brown.
In a rectangular baking dish, place a layer of noodles, cover with breadcrumbs, add another layer of noodles...and so on, until pan is filled and top layer is covered with breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
To prepare leftover noodles,
Slice noodles and fry in skillet with 1-2 tablespoons melted butter.
Serve with sour cream.
You'll also love
- Cornflake Cookies 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Sautéed zucchini with Cheese 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Classic Mashed Potatoes 2.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Classic Potato Casserole 2.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Homemade Chicken Teriyaki 2.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Beef Mac + cheese 2.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Eggplant pasta 2.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Weekday Chicken Casserole 2.5/5 (4 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!