Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 2.8-ounce jar real bacon pieces (or 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled)
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel and chop potatoes, place into a large stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Test a larger piece by piercing with a fork to make sure they're cooked through and tender. Remove pot from heat, drain potatoes and place back in pot.
Smash potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon, it's ok if they’re are still chunks. Stir in butter and cubed cream cheese. Keep stirring until completely melted. Add in sour cream, 1 1/2 cups cheddar, 3 sliced green onions, salt, and bacon pieces (reserve 1/4 cup bacon pieces for topping).
Spread into a greased 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheddar, bacon pieces, and sliced green onion over top. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!