Summer Vegetable Gratin
By Le gars astronomique
- 4 zucchini
- 3 eggplants
- 10 large tomatoes
- 4 large onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Few sprigs of thyme
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- Salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Wash and rinse the eggplant and zucchini, then cut into slices.
Boil water in a saucepan. to remove the skin of the tomatoes, plunge them 2 minutes into the boiling water. Drain and remove skin from tomatoes. Drain the tomatoes, then mash them.
Fry the chopped onions in a skillet with olive oil. Add chopped tomatoes, garlic (mashed), rosemary, thyme and cumin. Salt and pepper. Let stew.
Saute zucchini and eggplant in olive oil, separately in two. When the vegetables are crisp, add a tablespoon of honey in each of the pans, then allow mixture to caramelize slightly. Sprinkle each with a little jig of balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper.
Oil a baking dish. Arrange a layer with 2/3 of the eggplant slices. Spread a layer with half the tomato sauce. Arrange a layer with 2/3 of zucchini. Spread a layer with remaining tomato sauce. Place the last layer of vegetables, alternating eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes, halved. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan.
Place pan in oven and cook about 30 minutes.
Let stand a few minutes, allow to come to room temperature before serving.
You'll also love
- Veggie Gratin 4.3/5 (73 Votes)
- Super Easy Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms 4.3/5 (68 Votes)
- Grilled peaches 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Tofu Yassa 4.2/5 (55 Votes)
- Chicken Casserole Bake 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Green Bean Salad with Goats Cheese 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Corn Casserole 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Spicy potatoes o gratin 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!