Nostalgia in a bowl
Rich, creamy & comfort all in one bowl. You do not have to make soup from a can any longer! It seems so easy to do on a busy weeknight , but making this homemade broccoli cheese soup is just as easy! & tastes so much better! This is a soup that will bring you back, & a soup the whole family will love.
Click here for step by step photos
Explore more recipes from crEATe - the eats and crafts of a stay at home mom
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken or vegetable bouillon (seasoning)
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheeses (sharp
- jack; use any cheese you like)
- french baguette
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat oil in large pot or a deep pan, saute onion & garlic on medium heat. Soften the onion but don’t burn the garlic. Add butter, melting & stirring add the flour, & season with bouillon. Stirring until the flour is cooked out & you have a thickened roux. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually whisk or mix in milk. Stir. Add, cheese. Add, cream. Mix until nice & smooth. It should look like cheese soup at this point. Add broccoli. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Cook until the florets are tender. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until desired consistency (or puree in pot with an immersion blender.) Garnish with cheese, Serve immediately with crusty bread.
You could surely substitute some of the milk or cream with chicken or vegetable broth. I just enjoy the richness of the milk & cream.
You'll also love
- Easy Chicken Rice Soup 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.8/5 (20 Votes)
- Broccoli Soup 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Chicken Cutlet in Indian Spices 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Swiss Stuffed Chicken Breast 4.1/5 (25 Votes)
- Roasted Veggie Stir Fry w/ Sesame... 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Green Vegetable Puree 4.2/5 (0 Votes)
- Dannielle's Chicken with Green... 3.9/5 (20 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.