Dannielle's Chicken with Green Chili Enchilada Casserole
My twist on chicken enchiladas. It's easier to me and my family really likes this recipe! It has a lot of steps, but they are easy and once you've done this recipe, you will want to do it again.
- 4 boneless
- skinless chicken breasts that have been either poached or cooked ahead of time in the crock pot
- 1 -24 count package of CORN tortillas (you need 16 tortillas for this recipe)
- 1 small can of green chili
- 1 12 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 12 oz can of green enchilada sauce
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend OR Mild/Medium Cheddar Cheese Shredded
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Shred all four pieces of cooked, cooled chicken. Measure out a healthy 3/4 to 1 cup of cheese and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the can of chicken soup, the can of green enchilada sauce and the can of green chili.
Spread a small amount of the soup/sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Lay in corn tortillas, so that you have approximately 4 to 6 tortillas on the bottom. Spread some soup/sauce mixture onto the tortillas. Add 1/3 of the shredded cooked chicken. Sprinkle cheese on top of chicken. Layer another layer of corn tortilla, repeat with soup/sauce mixture, chicken, cheese. You should end up with 4 layers of tortillas and 3 layers of chicken. On the top layer of tortillas, pour remaining soup/sauce mixture and use reserved cheese. Bake in 350* oven for about 30-40 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbly, depending on your oven.
I make my chicken in the crock pot and just throw a few extra pieces in so that I have them already made. It makes it that much simpler for me.
You can also add in black olives if you prefer.
You'll also love
- MEXICAN PIZZA 3.3/5 (209 Votes)
- better than sex chicken 4.6/5 (64 Votes)
- Tortilla Pie 4.2/5 (97 Votes)
- The southwestern tamale casserole... 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- Shredded Chicken Green Chile... 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Broccoli & Wild Rice Casserole 4/5 (68 Votes)
- Tortilla Taco Casserole 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.