Sneaky Eggplant Sloppy Joes
A hearty recipe that will have even the pickiest eaters enjoying eggplant!
Sneaky Eggplant Sloppy Joes. Discover our recipe.
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 1 25oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 cup water
- 3 oz red wine (optional)
- 1Tbsp italian seasoning
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns (buttered and toasted)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Cut eggplant into small 1/2 inch cubes (It's worth the effort! This is so the skin can be left on for nutritional value & go unnoticed- YAY!)
Place cubed eggplant in 10 quart boiler.
Add pasta sauce, water, red wine, onion, garlic & italian seasoning to eggplant.
Stir, cover & simmer until eggplant is tender.
While eggplant is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
Add beef to eggplant mixture & stir.
Simmer uncovered for 3 more minutes or until mixture reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
Spoon 2/3 cup sloppy joe mixture onto bottom half of each roll/bun; top with shredded cheddar cheese; cover with top half of roll/bun.
Don’t tell your picky eaters it’s eggplant, until after they have cleaned their plate!
You'll also love
- Pot Liquor Mac-N-Cheese 4.2/5 (35 Votes)
- Egg Plant Squares 4.1/5 (39 Votes)
- Easy Crustless Spinach Quiche 4.1/5 (41 Votes)
- Eggplant with garlic 3.5/5 (152 Votes)
- Momma's sloppy joes 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Sloppy Joes 4.1/5 (29 Votes)
- Sloppy Joes with Eggplant 4/5 (33 Votes)
- Cheesy Spirals 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
- Salt and pepper
Slice eggplant and chop coriander
Place sliced eggplant in toaster
Thoroughly mix hummus, salt, pepper, and coriander
Spread the mixture onto the toasted eggplant slice!