West Asian Chickpeas
- This list of ingredients will require a trip to your local Indian spice store, an adventure every chef should experience.
- 4 cans Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 T Cumin
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 2.5 T Coriander Powder
- 1 t Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 T Amchur (dried mango powder)*
- 1 T Anardana (dried pomegranate seed powder)*
- 1 T Garam Masala
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1 t ground Green Cardamom
- 1 chopped tomato or a can of tomato sauce*
- Salt to taste
- 5 large green Chili Peppers cut into large chunks*
- 2 T Ginger either diced, grated, or julienned
- 2 large White Onions chopped
- 1 small Red Onion sliced into thin rings*
- Ghee* or Olive oil
- Large pot or dutch oven
- *Asterisk indicates optional, yet highly recommended, ingredients.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Saute the white onions. Once the white onions are half cooked or approximately half way to becoming clear, add the chilies, ginger, and chickpeas. Continue sauteing until the onions are clear.
Mix all the spices together and dump them into the onion mixture. Add tomatoes. Mix. Sautee until new ingredients are heated. Place a lid on the pot or dutch oven and let the ingredients set for a couple minutes so that the spices soak into the chickpeas. Serve.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.