- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 oz) canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 325F. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine sugar and water. Mix well. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar turns a caramel color. Remove from heat.
Divide caramel among eight 1/2 cup ramekins, tilting to coat side with caramel. In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, ginger and allspice. Mix well.
Divide pumpkin mixture among ramekins and smooth tops. Place ramekins in a large baking pan on center rack of oven. Carefully pour enough boiling water into baking pan to come halfway up side of ramekins.
Bake flans until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove ramekins from baking pans and cool completely. Unmold each one onto a dessert plate. Serve immediately.
Variation: Substitute 1 3/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes for the pumpkin.
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Yorkshire Pudding 4.5/5 (49 Votes)
- Garlic Flan in Parsley Emulsion 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- sugar free shake 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- GG's Dressing 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Christmas Balls 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Refrigerator Rolls 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Pumpkin pie w/vanilla topping 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie Frappucino 4/5 (35 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.