Italian chicken, lentil and vegetable soup
hearty and flavorful broth loaded with tender chicken, Washington grown lentils and plenty of vegetables.
- 3 strips thick sliced peppered bacon, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C diced cooked chicken meat
- 1 C lentils
- 2 C assorted vegetables, cut into bite sized pieces (peas, corn, green beans, cauliflower, cabbage...anything you like)
- 5 C chicken or vegetable stock
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Brown the bacon in the skillet, then add the carrots, cooking for a few minutes. Then add the onion, celery and dry herbs. Cook until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Add tomato paste (pincer) and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
In Crock pot, add lentils, chicken, vegetables and stock. Then add bacon/mirepoix/tomato mixture. stir well and cook on high in crock pot for 2 hours or until lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve piping hot with crusty bread, parmesan cheese and black pepper.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.