Pike fillet with apples and walnuts
- - Pike: 2 1/2 lbs
- - Butter: 1 1/3 stick
- - Apples: 8
- - Walnuts (shelled): 2 cups plus more for garnish
- - Parsley: 4 cups
- - Honey Vinegar 1 2/3 cups
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Cut the pike in portions of 5-6 oz, keeping the skin on. Cut the unpeeled apples into 6 pieces each. Clarify the butter. Chop the parsley.
Cooking: Cook the apples over low heat with clarified butter and a little fresh butter. Add walnuts to the cooking apples. Cook pike over high heat skin-side down, when the skin is crispy, finish cooking over low heat on the other side.
Finish: Remove apples and deglaze the fish with the honey vinegar. Reduce a couple minutes and add parsley and remaining walnuts to finish.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.