Carolyn's Apple Pie
A family favorite!
- 2 unbaked pie crusts for deep dish pie pan
- 10-12 apples ( mix sweet with sour
- Macintosh are the best)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 heaping tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 juice of lemon
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Put unbaked pie shell into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Mix the brown sugar, spices, and cornstarch together.
Peel the apples and slice them up. Alternate layers of apples with the brown sugar mixture. Pour the lemon juice over top. Stack the apples up high so that it is domed.
Put unbaked pie crust over top. Pinch down the edges so they are secure. For a fluted edge, spread your fingers on the edge of the crust and pull the dough up between your fingers. Cut a vent hole at the top by making a star. Cut 1 inch straight down, move a half inch and cut another 1 inch slash. Now do a smaller slash horizontal (1/2 inch). Finish by putting 1/4 of an inch in the corners.
Bake at 350 F for 1 hour. Before taking it out of the oven brush the crust with milk and sprinkle it with sugar. It gives it a nice sparkling crust.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.