Southwestern Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
This is a spicy adaptation of my mothers basic Scalloped potatoes that I ate 2 to 3 times a month while growing up. As a lover of Southwestern foods, I usually serve these with spicy roast beef or chicken.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium fine chopped red onion
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 5 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 pounds Idaho potatoes peel if desired
- 3 fine chopped Anaheim chili peppers
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fine chopped chives
- 1/4 cup fine chopped cilantro
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 400° and butter a deep 9" x 13" baking dish with some of the melted butter. In a small skillet, melt butter on medium-low, add onions and cook til softened, remove from heat.
In a medium pan, bring heavy cream and milk to a simmer on medium. Whisk in onions, melted butter, garlic, chipoltes and adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin
and salt and pepper to taste, keep warm.
With a mandoline, slice potatoes crosswise 1/8" thick. Arrange about 1/4 of the potato slices in the prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheeses and 1/3 of both the chives and cilantro over the potato slices. Repeat the layering two more times. Top with the remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour the cream mixture over and around the potatoes.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, til the potatoes are tender and bubbling and the top is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.
The unbaked casserole can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Return to room temperature before baking.
You'll also love
- Broccoli, Chicken and Rice... 4.5/5 (215 Votes)
- Hungarian Zucchini Squash with... 4.6/5 (170 Votes)
- Spicy Scallop with Cilantro Pistou... 3.2/5 (204 Votes)
- Potatoes Eggs and Cheese 4.2/5 (116 Votes)
- Chicken Casserole with Cream 4.7/5 (65 Votes)
- Easy Bean and Pepper Chili 4.1/5 (108 Votes)
- Tortilla Pie 4.2/5 (97 Votes)
- The southwestern tamale casserole... 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Make that special someone swoon with these adorable, delicious bacon potato roses!