Cole Slaw is one of those side dishes that is hit or miss. My mom makes THE best and no one can compare to it. She makes it a day ahead of time to ferment. Its the best I've ever tasted and ever one will ask for this recipe ever time you try it on new people.
- 1 Medium to Large head of Green Cabbage
- A few shakes of White Vinegar
- 1/4 c Virgin Olive Oil
- 4-5 Tbsp of Hellman's Mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Salt & Pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Cut the end of the cabbage then cut in half. Hand shred with a slicer or you can use a large chef's knife to shred on each half of the cabbage.
Put all the cabbage into a large bowl. Add a few shakes of the white vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix in Mayo and sugar.
Mix all together and add more of seasonings to taste if so desire. Cover and refrigerate over night.
This is a make a head side dish for picnics or BBQ. The overnight refrigeration allows the cabbage to ferment with the seasonings.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture