Strawberry Rhubarb Granita
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh(frozen) rhubard
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or stevia for those afraid of the deathly white sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 cups fresh strawberries (hulled) about 2 450 gm tubs)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 5mins
Cost Average budget
Step One: Combine rhubarb with 1 cup water, sugar and salt in med size sauce pan
cook over med high heat until rhubarb soft (8-9) min
remove from heat
pour mixture through strainer pressing with bottom of ladle to extract liquid from pulp
Step Two: In food processor, whirl 1.2 of the strawberries (1 tub) with 1 cup water and lemon and lime juices, lemon and lime
zests and sprig of mint (about 4 leaves )
Chop till no chunks remain
Pour into 9 X 13 " baking dish
Step Three: Pour strained rhubarb mixture into processor with remaining strawberries
Whirl until smooth
Step Four: Stir mixture into baking dish with strawberries
Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm ( about 5 hours)
TO SERVE: Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving
Scape with a spoon the length of the dish (flakes should form)
scoop into serving bowls.
Garnish: Fresh strawberry dipped in yoghurt and then sprinkled with sugar or Stevia. mint leave inserted on a jauntly angle
* For more casual presentation .serve in hollowed out lemon halves. ...
*** Switch it up with seasonal fruit... subbing raspberries for the strawberries.
*** Add a bit of ginger or basil to enhance flavours.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Rhubarb with a Hint of... 4.1/5 (158 Votes)
- Pretzel Crusted White Chocolate... 4.1/5 (120 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Recipe for chocolate-covered... 4.4/5 (88 Votes)
- Side- Tartar sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Rhubarb and Red Apple Puree 3.6/5 (103 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Nana's Rhubarb Crisp 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.