Strawberry Rhubarb Granita
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh(frozen) rhubard
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or stevia for those afraid of the deathly white sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 cups fresh strawberries (hulled) about 2 450 gm tubs)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 5mins
Cost Average budget
Step One: Combine rhubarb with 1 cup water, sugar and salt in med size sauce pan
cook over med high heat until rhubarb soft (8-9) min
remove from heat
pour mixture through strainer pressing with bottom of ladle to extract liquid from pulp
Step Two: In food processor, whirl 1.2 of the strawberries (1 tub) with 1 cup water and lemon and lime juices, lemon and lime
zests and sprig of mint (about 4 leaves )
Chop till no chunks remain
Pour into 9 X 13 " baking dish
Step Three: Pour strained rhubarb mixture into processor with remaining strawberries
Whirl until smooth
Step Four: Stir mixture into baking dish with strawberries
Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm ( about 5 hours)
TO SERVE: Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving
Scape with a spoon the length of the dish (flakes should form)
scoop into serving bowls.
Garnish: Fresh strawberry dipped in yoghurt and then sprinkled with sugar or Stevia. mint leave inserted on a jauntly angle
* For more casual presentation .serve in hollowed out lemon halves. ...
*** Switch it up with seasonal fruit... subbing raspberries for the strawberries.
*** Add a bit of ginger or basil to enhance flavours.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Rhubarb with a Hint of... 4.1/5 (158 Votes)
- Pretzel Crusted White Chocolate... 4.1/5 (119 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Recipe for chocolate-covered... 4.4/5 (88 Votes)
- Side- Tartar sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry goo 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Rhubarb and Red Apple Puree 3.6/5 (102 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Nana's Rhubarb Crisp 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
All you need is 3 main ingredients to make this Chocolate Strawberry Braid for dessert tonight!
- 7-9 medium-sized strawberries
- 1 puff pastry
- 1 chocolate bar
- 1 egg yolk
- Almond slivers
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the strawberries into halves.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and spread your puff pastry out on top, smoothing it into a rectangle shape if necessary.
- Place the bar of chocolate in the center, then top with a layer of strawberry halves.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, slice the edges of the puff pastry into strips that can be wrapped over the chocolate and strawberries. Starting with the flap at the top, fold over each strip in a slightly diagonal direction so that they resemble a braid.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg yolk so that it covers the entire visible surface.
- Sprinkle almond slivers on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Give the braid a few minutes to cool down, then cover with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!