The real, authentic Feijoada recipe, the national dish of Brazil!
Feijoada: Delicious Portuguese stew! Discover our recipe.
- 1 pound of cooked red beans
- 1 pig foot, cut in two,
- 2 pig tails
- 200g diced pork
- 200g cut pork chops
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 150g bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- Vinegar, salt, pepper and minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley and chives
- "Gaúcha" Sauce :
- 3 ripes tomatoes, seeds removed
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 ladle of the Feijoada liquid
- 5 cl ice water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and chives
- salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar
- " Farofa" :
- 50g butter
- 250g cassava flour
- Salt, pepper and chilli powder
- Sauteed cabbage :
- 10 cabbage leaves
- oil, minced garlic, salt
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges
Level of difficulty Difficult
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
Cost Average budget
2 days before : Wash the pig foot and tails. In a large bowl, mix the garlic, salt, vinegar and 1 bay leaf to make a marinade. Add to the meat and marinate overnight.
In another bowl, make exactly the same marinade for the pork pieces and pork chops. Add to the meat and marinate overnight.
1 Day before :
Boil the pig foot and tails in a large pot. In another large pot, boil the pork pieces and pork chops. Once all the meat is cooked, separate the meat from the cooking water, in two different clean bowls. Let cool in the fridge overnight.
The day of the Feijoada : Take the bowls out of the fridge, and using a spatula, remove the fat that has solidified at the top of the cooking water and the meat. Put the cooking water aside. Cut the bacon and fry it in a large pan. Take out and put aside. Fry the sausages, cut in slices, in the bacon fat. Put aside. In the same pan, cook the onion and garlic until transparent, then deglaze the pan with some of the reserved cooking water. Add the bacon, sausages and pork meat, along with the rest of the cooking water, and boil, adding more water if necessary. Once the liquid starts to thicken, add the chives and parsley, take off the heat and keep warm.
For the "gaucha" sauce: Cut all the vegetables into small pieces. In a bowl, mix them with the vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and a ladle of the Feijoada liquid and add the ice water, then refrigerate.
For the "farofa": In a pan, melt the butter, add the flour and slowly brown on low heat, while constantly mixing. Season with salt, pepper and chilli powder. Set aside.
For the cabbage: wash the cabbage and cut into thin slices. Sautee in a hot pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
To assemble the dish, serve the Feijoada with the "farofa", the cabbage, the "gaúcha" sauce and the orange wedges. And don't forget a refreshing caipirinha cocktail!
Make sure to start preparing this dish 48 hours in advance.
You'll also love
- Recipewe ♡ Brazilian Banana Pie (Torta de... 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Brazilian Fish in Pineapple &... 4.1/5 (71 Votes)
- Bakalolo (spoken not spelt) 3.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Bobo de camarao 3.6/5 (18 Votes)
- VEGGIE PIZZA 3/5 (21 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Rotini 3.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Italian chicken, lentil and... 2.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Bacon-wrapped Green Beans 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.