Poppy Seed Cake
Moist poppy seed filling is what makes this a delicious snack!
- 250 g blending flour
- 2 tbs fine sugar
- 170 g butter
- 1 egg
- 600 g ground poppy seeds
- 350 g granulated sugar
- 3 tbs honey
- 100 g walnuts chopped fine
- 15 g vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
Level of difficulty Difficult
Cost Average budget
Mix flour with sugar, add soft butter and egg. Mix into dough and let stand 20 min in a cool place.
Separate dough into 2. Take 1 half and roll out into a square. Put on greased and floured surface. Make small holes with fork to let breathe.
To make the filling add ground poppy seeds to sugar and little bit of milk to have thick mixture.Boil and let stand. Add honey and vanilla sugar into warm poppy mixture.Cool off, add 1 egg, walnuts and mix well. Spread over the dough on baking sheet.
Roll out the 2 1/2 of dough and place on top of the filling mixture.
Spread beaten egg mixture over top to get nice crisp and golden color. Bake in the center of the oven 40 min at 375 F.
Serve with cold milk.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!