Italian Meat Pie (makes 2 pies)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (sweet)
- 1/3 lb. pepperoni
- 1/3 lb. imported ham (boiled ham)
- 16 large eggs (well-beaten)
- 1/2 lb. ricotta cheese
- salt to taste
- DOUGH FOR MEAT PIES:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 2/3 cups shortening (butter flavored)
- about 1/2 cup cold water (or a little less)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Average budget
Cook Italian sausage, then chop all of the meat. Add 16 eggs and cheese and season with salt.
Sift flour with baking powder; add sugar and salt.
Mix egg with water to make dough - knead just enough to hold together.
Divide into 2 pieces and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 2 pies (bottom crust only).
Mold the dough into 2 baking dishes and pour meat & egg filling on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. ENJOY!!
You can also buy ready make dough in the grocery store to cut down the prep time.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture