Better For You Mac And Cheese
Cheese loving dieters rejoice! 2 cup serving is only 390 calories! Yes TWO cups!
- 16 oz macaroni
- 20 oz frozen winter squash (butternut works well too)
- 2 cups skin milk
- 1 1/3 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbs Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp oil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to 375. Spray 9x13 baking dish.
Cook macaroni. Drain and place in baking dish. Place frozen squash and milk in large sauce pan and cook over low heat stirring frequently until squash in fully defrosted. Turn up heat to medium and cook until almost simmering. Remove from heat and add cheeses, salt, mustard, and cayenne. Pour mix over noodles and stir together.
In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, and oil. Sprinkle over mac and cheese mix. Bake until cheese are bubbling around edges, about 20 minutes, then broil for about 3 minutes to brown topping.
Alternately, do not pour macaroni into baking pan, make cheese sauce and add macaroni to it, then pour into pan and bake.
You'll also love
- Steak Soup 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Honey Ricotta Sandwich 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Veggie/sausage frittata 4/5 (10 Votes)
- hot dog chili 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Maw-Maw's Mac & Cheese 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Fiesta Cheese Quinoa 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Hash Brown Potato Hotdish 4/5 (5 Votes)
- RAVIOLLI 4/5 (5 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!
Review this recipe