short ribs and cabbage
Delicious short rib and cabbage dish that's inexpensive, nutritious and delicious.
- 2 pounds of beef short ribs - cut into pieces with 2 bones per piece
- 1 cabbage (can be any variety) chop whole cabbage into large chunks about the size of 1 cup each chunk
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 potatoes - whole
- jackets on.
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 4-6 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 20 peppercorns
- parsley finely chopped.
- 1 cup of water
- (options/variations - may add cayenne pepper
- sour cream/plain yogurt)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Cost Budget Friendly
braise beef ribs on all sides in a pan with olive oil. Add onion to braise also.
put beef rib and onion mixture into a large, heavy bottomed pot. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, (and other spices if you wish) and cabbage chunks on top. pour the water over top of everything.
Set on stove at high for a few minutes until boiling, then turn to low to steam. Make sure lid is on tight. Total cooking time around 60 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Make sure water is not steaming away and if so, add more.
Pop whole potatoes into the oven to bake for around an hour at 400 degrees.
Remove pot from stove top. take cabbage chunks from the top and place on plates.
Take potatoes from oven and place on plates.(at this time you can add variants such as sour cream or yogurt onto the potatoes).
add salt to the beef and spice mixture and turn to make sure the sauce covers every piece. (At this time you may add variants such as cream to the beef mixture).
Place beef on plates and you may ladle sauce over the potatoes and steamed cabbage.
Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Add parsley over top of the dish for edible garnish.
pick beef ribs that are less fatty
make sure there is sufficient water so the dish doesn't burn at the bottom.
Savoy Cabbage, Green Cabbage and Red Cabbage all make nice variations to this dish.
If you wish to make this a one pot dish, you can peel and halve/quarter the potatoes and put them into the pot to cook also.
You also could substitute white beans for the potatoes if cooking in one pot.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture