Spinach and Mushroom stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Truffled Wine Sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 applewood smoked bacon slices
- finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 (8 oz) packages cremini mushrooms
- finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 (6 oz) bag baby spinach
- coarsely chopped
- 1 (3 1/4 pound) beef tenderloin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine (Pinot Noir)
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 5 tsp flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp truffle oil
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bacon; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shallots, cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium high. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 cup beef stock; cook until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes). Add spinach, cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cut horizontally through center of beef, cutting to, but not through, other side, using a sharp knife, open flat, as you would a book. Place beef between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to an even 1/2 inch thickness (about 13 inches square) using a meat mallot or small heavy skillet. Brush beef with 1 1/2 tsp olive oil; sprinkle with 3/4 tsp slat and 1/2 tsp pepper. Spread mushroom mixture evenly over beef leaving a 1/2 inch border around edges. Roll up beef, jelly roll style. Secure at 2 inch intervals with twine. Brush all sides of beef evenly with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Place beef on a jelly-roll pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F. Increase oven temp to 450 (do not remove beef from oven); bake an additional 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 125F. Let stand 15 minutes; cut across the grain into 12 slices.
Combine remaining 2 1/2 cups beef stock, wine, and thyme and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 25 minutes). Discard thyme sprigs. Combine 1/4 cup stock mixture and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, cool 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper, butter and truffle oil. Serve sauce with beef.
You'll also love
- Pink Truffled Ravioli with Goat... 3.2/5 (211 Votes)
- Cream of celery and green apple... 4.7/5 (25 Votes)
- Stuffed Mushroom Recipe - Joe's... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Cutie Citrus Crush 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Marinated beef with cream of morels 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Warm Spinach Salad 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Meatless grape leaves stuffed with... 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Filet 4/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.