Omit the sauce to make a basic schnitzel.
- 6 large mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine (for sauce)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth, boullion or drippings
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- Pork or veal cutlets (1/2 inch thick or slightly less)
- 2 tbsp butter, margarine or oil (for cutlets)
- 4 tbsp flour
- Herbs or garlic powder (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2cups breadcrumbs or corn flake crumbs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Fry or caramelize onions, along with sliced mushrooms halfway through - cooking for a total of 15 minutes until brown.
Add wine and broth, cook for 2-4 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup cream, boil then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
In a separate bowl mix 2tbsp flour and either 2tbsp cream or water.
Add flour mix to sauce, stirring completely to avoid lumps. Finish with psalter, pepper and herbs.
To begin cutlets, heat the butter or oil in a pan (2 tbsp, or 1cm thick).
Cover cutlets with wax paper, Saran Wrap, etc, and gently pound with meat tenderizer hammer or cup until you acheive an even 1/4 inch thickness throughout them all.
Make 3 bowls: one with flour, salt, pepper, and any other dry ingredients (such as garlic powder, etc), one with 2eggs and 2 tbsp water mixed, and one with breadcrumbs or corn flake crumbs.
Coat each cutlet in flour, shake off excess. Then dip in egg wash, followed by pressing onto bread crumbs to create the crust.
Fry 2 at a time, for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and meat cooked inside. Dry each with paper towel after. Serve topped with sauce.
Make extra to keep in the fridge. Excellent for quick sandwiches, breakfast and eggs, etc.
You'll also love
- Cutlets with sweet pepper 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Fried Drumsticks 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Taco Beef Pasta 2.4/5 (157 Votes)
- CHICKEN WITH BLUEBERRY SAUCE 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Chipotle Mushroom Runsas 4/5 (31 Votes)
- Rock Oysters with potatoes and... 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Dreamy Parmesan Dressing 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.