Chocolate Cake Roll
Moist, delicious and perfect for upcoming holidays. This cake is a winner to impress just about anybody by it looks as well as with the taste.
Moist, delicious and perfect for large gatherings. This cake is a winner to impress just about anybody with its looks AND taste!
- 1/2 tsp. Oil
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (with 1-2 tsp. milk)
- 1 Tbs. Butter, unsalted
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup cake flour, sifted (substitute for All purpose flour)
- 2 Tbs. Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 Tbs. Strawberry Jam
- 6oz (170g) Chocolate
- 1-2 tsp. Milk or Heavy Whipped Cream
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 15X10-inch pan with wax paper, then grease it by spraying or brushing oil. (You can use parchment paper or paper for baking)
Melt the Chocolate in the microwave safe dish with splash of milk or whipped cream and butter. Stir every 30 seconds, until completely melted (in total melting time approximately 50 seconds). Set aside to cool.
Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in medium bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in melted chocolate. Add water and vanilla and mix until smooth. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add to chocolate mixture.
Using clean beaters and large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold in chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Carefully loosen sides of cake from foil. Invert cake onto towel sprinkled with cocoa. Peel off foil. Starting at short end, roll up warm cake, roll fashion with towel inside. You must COOL cake completely.
Meanwhile, place dark chocolate (chips or chunks would work too) in small microwavable bowl with about 1-2 tsp. milk or whipped cream. Microwave on high 30 seconds, stir then put it back for 20 more seconds. If it's not melted, just leave it in the microwave it will melt. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Unroll cake, remove from the towel carefully and gently peel the wax paper. Spread cake with Strawberry jam then with melted chocolate; re-roll cake without towel, but use towel as a helper. Also gently handle rolling so it wouldn't break.
Refrigerate until serving time.
You could sift some confectioner sugar, and crushed mints or apply chocolate glaze or frosting on top. Addition of nuts is always delicious with the chocolate cake.
You'll also love
- Sydney's Spice bread 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Refrigerator Cookies 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- American Sweet Potato Pie 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Dark Chocolate Brownie Recipe 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Microwaved Chocolate Cake from my... 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Apple McIntosh Cake 3.7/5 (69 Votes)
- Banana Cake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Chocolate Oatmeal Cake 4.1/5 (31 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!