Chick Pea Garlic Hummus
This is a delicious dip or spread that goes great with veggies, crackers, pita, naan or spread on a sandwich. I wish I had a better picture. I'll update the picture when I make it again! Its gotta look pretty!
- 1 - 540 ml Can Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans) Drained and Rinsed THOROUGHLY or Soak your own chickpeas to use.
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 - 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tbsp of Tahini or All Natural Unsweetened Peanut Butter (if you live in a small city like me that doesn't carry many choices in "exotic" foods. LOL.)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp + a sprinkle of Parsley
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
In a blender or food processor mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, tahini or peanut butter, salt & parsley. Blend until completely mixed and garlic is as chopped up as possible (or you can mince it before you add it). It should look frothy once blended.
Slowly add chick peas, stopping often to scrape off the sides and remove any air bubble it might create. If once all the chick peas are added, its not as smooth as you like, or its hard to blend till smooth, add a little extra olive oil, lemon juice or water. Top with a sprinkle of parsley flakes for garnish.
Put in bowl and serve with crackers, pita chips, naan, veggies, spread on a sandwich instead of mayo, or add it to a chicken/turkey & veggie wrap with alfalfa sprouts. Mmmm!
Chill for a few hours for the best flavour, but it can be served right away.
It its not going to be used right away, be sure to cover remaining hummus air tight and refrigerate right away to avoid a crust forming over the top. Use within the week.
To avoid waste, do not buy a large quantity of the peanut butter or tahini, as it can go rancid if it gets old. So unless you make a lot of hummus, or use these things with other recipes, its best to buy smaller containers. Both these will have a layer of oil on top. Just stir it until the oil is mixed in again, then use. Keep them both refrigerated, and remove how much you will need 5 minutes ahead of time to allow it to soften.
You'll also love
- Black Bean White Corn Salsa 4.8/5 (25 Votes)
- Garlic Parsley Potatoes 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Quick and Easy Hummus 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- 3 Ingredient Ranch Cheeseball 4.7/5 (29 Votes)
- Taco Pie!!! 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- potato croquettes 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Aunt Brendas Pumpkin Butter 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Cheesecake 4.2/5 (44 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Are you curious to find out what the best way to chop a garlic clove is? We show you the easiest and most efficient way to chop garlic cloves like a chef!