- 1 lb ground turkey (could use other ground meat)
- ½ lb ground turkey sausage (could use other ground sausages)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (can use a mixture of cheeses if desired. I like smoked cheddar and sharp cheddar)
- Toppings: shredded cheese, fresh parsley, chopped bacon, dice tomatoes, cheese, pickles, buttered croutons.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large deep skillet brown ground turkey and ground sausage. Drain and set aside.
In the same deep skillet at 2 tablespoons of butter and diced carrot, onions and celery.
Sauté until tender over medium heat.
Stir in cubed potatoes, chicken broth, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer just until potatoes are tender (but not to soft).
Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large soup pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
Whisk in flour a little at a time stirring constantly over medium heat.
Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in warm milk and warm heavy cream.
Stir in cheeses until mixture is smooth and creamy. Do not bring to a boil or simmer.
Pour meat & vegetable mixture into the cheese sauce and stir until well combined.
Taste and add in additional salt, black pepper, garlic powder or Italian seasoning if needed.
Laddle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
- Ground meat
- Coriander, chopped
- Onions, minced
- Ground Pepper
- Cheddar (cube and slice)
- Canola Oil
Chop coriander and mince onions
Mix the meat, coriander, onions, pepper and salt in a large bowl
With your hands, shape the meat into a large ball
On a clean surface, flatten the ball and place a cube of cheddar on top
Cover the cheese with the edges of the meat, creating a ball again
Place in a pan and let one side simmer in canola oil
Flip the patty and place a slice of cheddar on top
Place the lid on the pan and let cook to desired texture
Put the patty in a bun with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!