Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cup while whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Combine warm water, heated to 115F, with sugar and yeast. Allow yeast to to proof.
Add 2 1/4 cups flour to the bowl of a stand mixer, along with salt. With dough hook attached and mixer running on slow, slowly add yeast to mixture. Mix, increasing speed to medium gradually, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If dough is still sticking to the bowl, add 1 tsp of flour at a time, up to 1/4 cup total, until dough is no longer sticky and has formed a smooth ball.
Lightly grease a medium bowl with olive oil. Grease hands lightly and shape dough into a smooth ball. Transfer to prepared bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, roughly 45-60 minutes.
Preheat over to 425*. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or olive oil. Shape dough to desired size and thickness. Base as is for 10 minutes. Remove, add toppings and bake until desired crispness is reached, 15-20 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Spanish empanadas are little hot pockets of delicious!
- 2.25 Cups of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Tsp. of lard
- 1/5 Cup of warm water
- 5 Tsp. of olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 Tsp. of chili powder
- 1 Tsp. of cumin
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the flour, beaten egg, lard, warm water, and olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- In a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and sautée the onions, until tender. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and the flavors have incorporated well.
- Roll out the empanada dough, and cut out circles with a ramekin.
- Cover a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough circles on top.
- Fill with meat mixture, fold in half and press with the edge of a fork. Brush with egg yolk to glaze.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven... and enjoy!