A powder to make Authentic south Indian recipe "Sambhar"
- Dhania (coriander seeds) - 2 cups
- Peppercorn (whole) -1/2 cup
- Tuar dal (pigeon pea) - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tablespoon.
- Red Chilli powder and Turmeric powder- Measured at last
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Dry roast in the following order:
Roast Pepper- till it cracks
Roast Dhania, Tuar dal and fenugreek -till dal turns brown.
In a mixer, grind all into a fine powder.
Measure the amount of powder.
Add 2 powder:1 (or) 3/4 chilli powder depending on how spicy you want: 1/4 cup or 1 cooking spoon Turmeric powder.
Let it cool. Store preferably in a glass container.
My Cheat sheet: Add same amount of coriander powder and pepper powder instead of coriander seeds and peppercorns.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Learn how to make authentic homemade tomato sauce. It's easy as 1-2-3!