Best Beef Burgundy (slow cooker)
- 4 oz bacon
- 2 lb stewing beef
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- chopped stems of 5 oz mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/4 C red wine
- 3/4 C chicken broth
- 3 oz soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp minute tapioca
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 C water
- 1 C peeled pearl onions
- 5 oz mushroom caps
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Bacon: chop bacon, fry till crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Set in fridge. Pour off half the fat
Beef: thoroughly dry stewing beef that is cut into large cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir with hands until well coated. Place half the raw cubes in bottom of the slow cooker. Heat skillet and brown the other half of cubes on all sides in a singe layer then add them to the slow cooker.
Seasonings: peel and chop finely the onion and carrot. Pour remaining bacon fat back into the frying pan, add vegetables and cook till beginning to brown. Add garlic, chopped mushroom stems and thyme. Add tomato paste, stir well. Pour mixture over meat in the slow cooker.
Sauce - Part 1: pour 3/4 C wine, chicken broth, soy sauce and bay leaves into empty skillet. Measure tapioca, sprinkle it into the liquid and stir well. Raise heat to simmer, scraping bottom, and stir 1 minute. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Cooking: set slow cooker to low and cook 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
Sauce - Part 2: once cooking is done, bring reserved 1/2 C wine to boil in saucepan or frying pan. Simmer till reduced by half (1-2 minutes). Stir it into the stew while hot and add 2 tbsp chopped parsley and bacon.
Garnish: melt butter, sugar and water in large skillet. Add pearl onions, cover and simmer till tender. Uncover and cook till liquid evaporates. Add mushroom caps and a pinch of salt. Cook till browned - about 5 minutes. Stir into stew or serve on the side.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.