Chicken Briyani with Yogurt Raita
- Chicken - 1 kg (clean & cut the chicken medium sized pieces)
- Basmati Rice/ long grain rice - 2 cups
- Tomatoes - 3
- Ginger Paste - 2 tbsp
- Garlic Paste - 3tbsp
- Ginger Garlic paste - 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Black peppercorns (whole) - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Onions (finely sliced) - 1 cup(medium sized cup)
- Green Chilli - 1
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
- Bay leaf - few
- Cinnamon bark - few
- cardamom - few (2)
- Garam masala - 1 tbsp
- Shan brand Briyani masala - 2 tbsp/ any chicken masala (preferably butter chicken masala)
- Any edible Oil - 3 tbsp
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
1. Soak the rice atleast 30 minutes in water.
2. In a deep pan (medium flame) add 3 tbsp of oil, add few cardamom, cinnamon bark, bay leaf, whole black peppercorns, cumin seed and saute for few seconds until spice smells comes out.
3. Add Garlic and ginger paste to it, reduce the flame to medium and saute until the oil comes out from the mixture. (colour changes to lite golden)
4. Add diced Onions,pinch of salt , Sliced Green chilli and saute until onions turns lite golden colour.
5. Add cleaned Chicken, required salt turn the heat to medium flame and cover the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.
6. When the water from chicken is reduced to half(half cooked chicken), add chopped tomatoes, garam masala, any chicken gravy masala to it.
7. Allow the tomatoes to break down by covering the pan with lid for few minutes. add required salt.
8. add soaked rice to the gravy mixture, add salt if needed and cook in low flame for 10 minutes (cover the pan with lid).
9. When the rice is half cooked, add 2-3 tbsp of yogurt to it and stir the gravy with rice mixture gently (over stirring will break the rice).
10. Add Coriander at the final stage of the chicken briyani.
11.Simple Raita (Yogurt sauce side dish) - In a bowl add 5 to 6 tbsp of yogurt, finely chopped onions (small sized ), add 1/2 finely chopped carrot,1/2 chopped cucumber, few coriander leaves(optional), add salt to taste.
At two stages salt need to be added, first while cooking meat and later while adding rice.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.